Reaction/Response
In allowing students the opportunity to create their own class, during a time in which they are still fully submerged in the academic experience, the opportunity for the creation of very unique classes arises.
The class I created was based because of the bubble I perceive as existing around college environments, separating the students from their surroundings. Creating a class that forces students to learn about different local regions and also physically visit and explore these areas allowing not only the students enrolled in the course to learn of these regions but also spread the knowledge around campus by word of mouth.
The way the syllabus for this imaginary course was written was to intentionally create a document that could be easily understood by the students while still upholding an air of authority. It is vital that syllabi be comprehendible at first glance or they will never be read. At the same time however students must be made aware that the professor has knowledge he or she deems worthy of passing to students without seeming a peer to the students.
The syllabus I wrote contains the essential idea of the class that I wanted to portray to students but the more technical aspects are lacking from its content. It is difficult to understand all the details needed in a syllabus having never experienced a class from the administration side. I was unaware of how to structure the attendance policy or things such as the grading rubric.
Writing a syllabus it has provided me with the basis needed for writing documents in the shoes of an administrator. I have learned how specific and detailed these types of writings must be in order to come across as clear and unquestionable.
No comments:
Post a Comment